With 25 years of access services and artistic programming, The Access Project strives to celebrate the richness of disability culture both on and off the stage.
A Brief History
Started in 1992 by Remains Theatre, The Access Project transferred to Victory Gardens in 1995. There, it grew into a nationally recognized model outreach effort designed to involve people with disabilities in all aspects of theater. In 2008 Victory Gardens received the MetLife Foundation Award for Excellence and Innovation in Arts Access, and in 2009 we were named Most Accessible Theater by the members of Deaf Illinois.
Throughout the year, the Victory Gardens Access Project designates certain performances as Access Nights where we offer additional accessibility services to our patrons. Read more about the services we offer below.
- Both theaters have wheelchair- and scooter-accessible locations where patrons can remain in their wheelchairs or transfer to theater seats.
- To reach the Rehearsal Room and Richard Christiansen Theater the elevator is available to the second floor for individuals who would prefer not to use stairs.
- Victory Gardens welcomes service animals. If you require accessible seating to accommodate you and your canine companion please notify a box office agent upon purchase or a house manager on site.
- Tickets for accessible seating may be purchased by phone, in person, and online. For personal assistance selecting accessible seats or for more information about accessibility for a person with a disability please call the Box Office at 773.871.3000
- Valet is available for all Victory Gardens’ performances. It is located directly in front of the Biograph marquee. Valet is $13.
- Paid street parking is available on Lincoln Ave.
Assisted Listening Devices (ALDs)
- ALDs are available in both of Victory Gardens’ performance spaces.
- The systems provide amplification on lightweight wireless headsets and features the ability to adjust for specific hearing needs. If utilizing hearing aids, please request a compatible loop headset for your convenience.
- Headsets can be found at the Box Office. A form of identification is required as a deposit. This system is available free of charge.
- This service allows blind and low vision patrons to hear a description of the visual elements taking place on stage. Listeners will hear a description of actions, body language, lights, costumes, scenery and other aspects of the production not conveyed by voices and sounds from the stage. This service is available for specific performances.
- Please contact the House Manager to receive a headset. A form of identification is required as a deposit. This system is available free of charge.
- This service is available for patrons who are blind or low-vision one hour and a half before each Audio Described performance. This service is available for specific performances.
- Touch Tours are one hour artistic conversations and tactile explorations of costumes, props and set pieces for patrons who are blind or low vision.
- VG staff recommends that patrons make reservations for the Touch Tour when ordering tickets. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to do so.
- Braille Programs are available at the Box Office. Subscribers may reserve these on their performance date by calling the Box Office (773.871.3000) or request them from a House Manager at any time.
Large Print Programs
- Large print programs are available at the Box Office. Subscribers may reserve these on their performance date by calling the Box Office (773.871.3000) or request them from a House Manager at any time.
American Sign Language Interpretation
- For patrons who prefer American Sign Language to communicate, Victory Gardens provides ASL interpreted performances with theatrical interpreters.
Word for Word Captioning
- Victory Gardens offers word for word captioning for select performances. At captioned performances, text is displayed on the side of the stage displaying dialogue and description of atmospheric sounds and music cues.
Patrons who use Accessibility Services have several ticket discount programs available to them:
- $20 Access tickets for those using services and a companion are available for every performance of Victory Gardens productions. To purchase, call the Box Office at 773.871.3000.
- Reduced-price Flex Passes offer 1-2 tickets for each Victory Gardens production in a given season, and can be purchased online for $20/ticket, plus a small service fee.