Established in the 2015/2016 season, the Directors Inclusion Initiative aims to encourage and develop emerging Chicago directors who identify as people of color, disabled, women, transgender, gender non-conforming and LGBTQ+. We continue our commitment to cultivate a new generation of diverse directors who create dynamic theater work from their unique points of view.
Under the leadership of Ken-Matt Martin and Roxanna Conner, the initiative has been reimagined with a new curriculum which includes four free masterclasses by leading theater artists, observing first rehearsal for each mainstage production, and directing one reading in the 20/50 Festival. The Director Inclusion Initiative cohort will also have the opportunity to attend optional events such as technical rehearsals, final dress, and gatherings hosted by VG leadership.
- 35 hours total, January 2022 – June 2022
- 12 hours of free masterclasses with leading theater artists
- 15 hours directing one reading for the 20/50 Festival
- 8 hours observing rehearsals
- Additional optional opportunities may be offered periodically.
2021/2022 COHORT DATES
- Tuesday, January 4, 2022: first rehearsal for Queen of the Night
- Saturday, February 26, 2022: Masterclass #1
- Tuesday, March 8, 2022: first rehearsal for In Every Generation
- Saturday, April 23, 2022: Masterclass #2
- Tuesday, May 17, 2022: first rehearsal for cullud wattah
- Saturday, June 4, 2022: Masterclass #3
- Monday, June 27 – Saturday July 2, 2022: 20/50 Festival
- Sat, August 20: Masterclass #4
$350 for directing one reading for the 20/50 Festival; commensurate with pay for the Ignite Chicago Reading Series.
Submit a resume, two letters of recommendation, and a portfolio of no more than 5 production photos, or one video of a piece you’ve directed. Applications are due by 12PM CT on Friday, October 15, 2021. All materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Directors Inclusion.” Please send your files as a single .pdf document, named as follows: Last_First_DII2122.