This initiative, started in the 2015/2016 season, aims to encourage and develop talented and emerging Chicago stage directors who identify as people of color, disabled, women, transgender, gender non-conforming and LGBTQ.
We continue our commitment to cultivate a new generation of diverse stage directors who create dynamic theater work from their unique points of view. Selected candidates for the Directors Inclusion Initiative will have the opportunity to assistant direct one of the mainstage productions of the 2021/2022 season and be connected to the evolving and exciting artistic life at Victory Gardens Theater. Applicants must have completed undergraduate schooling and have at least two years of professional experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for the 2021/22 season will open in Spring 2021; please check back in April for more details.
Applicants should submit the following:
- A Resume (as a Adobe .pdf only)
- Two letters of recommendation from industry professionals or educators familiar with their work. Please submit the letters of recommendation as a part of your completed application – letters sent outside of completed materials will not be considered.
- A cover letter that addresses the following questions:
- What kind of aesthetic/storytelling are you most interested in as a director?
- Why is the Director’s Inclusion Initiative the next step for your directorial career? What do you hope to get out of the Initiative?
- What is an artistic work (any medium) that speaks to you as a director? Why?
- What are your first and second choices for shows and/or directors the 2021/2022 Season and why?
*We plan to announce our season in late April/early May 2021
- Additionally, feel free to submit a limited portfolio. This may include production photographs and/or a production link.
Applications will open in spring 2021. If you have any questions about the Directors Inclusion Initiative, please reach out to email@example.com.