Envisioning social justice through the lens of theater.
With a unique grant from the David Rockefeller Fund, in spring 2017/18, VG launched an elevated stream of social justice-focused free events. Grounded in the civic dramaturgy method that VG pioneered, these PUBLIC PROGRAMS enhance the audience experience by connecting our theater to the world beyond the stage.
This new track of Public Programs uses our plays to ignite important civic conversations and spur action on current issues and public policies. We are using the art of theater to draw out and amplify stories that are urgent to our Chicago communities and asking: How can our theater be a catalyst for change?
Town Hall And Public Program Partners
- iGrow Chicago
- The Center on Halsted
- Cure Violence
- Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence
- Everytown for Gun Safety
- Indo American Center
- Latinos Progresando
- Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
Community Resource Partners
- Women Employed
- Black Women’s Expo
- Black Owned Chicago / Black Monologues
- Moms United Against Violence and Incarceration
- Chicago Legal Advocacy for Incarcerated Mothers
- Yoga for Recovery
- Chicago Women in Trades
- Muntu Dance Theatre Company
- The Ark
- The Dina and Eli Field EZRA Multi-Service Center
- American Medical Women’s Association