The Victory Gardens Theater’s Next Generation Fellowship
EMPOWERING FUTURE LEADERS IN THE AMERICAN THEATER
The Next Generation Fellowship is a professional development program for rising career persons of color interested in theater Leadership. The Fellowship will work to develop individuals who are the future of theatre.
Through hands-on experience, mentorship, and career-guidance, Fellows will be given tools to become our next generation of arts leaders and managers.
The positions available are The Samuel G. Roberson Artistic Fellow and the Marcelle McVay Management Fellow.
Please read this information carefully:
The 2018 Next Generation Fellowship will take place from February, 2018 – October 30, 2018
- In special circumstances, these dates can be slightly flexible depending on the needs of the candidate and hiring department.
- Final candidates will be asked to interview in November/ December on a rolling basis.
The Samuel G. Roberson Artistic Fellow will be fully integrated into the artistic staff; read and analyze plays for season planning and the IGNITION New Play Festival; assist in line producing main stage shows and any new play development programming; participate in Public Programs, Access Project and Education Department.
The Marcelle McVay Management Fellow will be part of the management team; learn and assist in board development, fundraising, development and grant writing, contracts and negotiations, rentals, budgets, company management and human resources.
- Identify as a person of color
- Have earned a baccalaureate, or have equivalent professional experience
- Reside in, or be able to relocate to, Chicago
- Have a strong desire to work in their selected department
- Submit an application
During their tenure, Fellows receive:
- Fellows will be paid minimum wage for 27 hours/week during 9 months (February–October or agreed upon dates).
- Perks: Professional Development and networking opportunities, and discount and free tickets to area theatres.
All applicants must submit ONE SINGLE PDF containing the following documents, in the following order.
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
Cover Letter should include:
- How you feel you will benefit from this program;
- Your long term professional goals (as much as you know them at this point);
- Why working at Victory Gardens is the right next step in your career; and
- What are you looking for in a mentor, and what qualities you possess that make you a strong leader.
All applications should be emailed to HR2@victorygardens.org
Put Next Generation Fellowship in Subject line
Applications due by November 30, 2017