COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
The Community Engagement Manager develops and maintains the theater’s community engagement endeavors in connection to the mission and artistic vision of the organization. This newly created position is responsible for the design, creation, implementation and analysis of all community engagement activities throughout the city. This individual will be responsible for connecting Victory Gardens Theater and our artistic work to the many diverse communities of Chicago.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement all community engagement activities – which include but are not limited to;
- Supervision and management of the Council of Community Leaders and their activities.
- Coordination of artist workshops in various communities throughout the city.
- Identification and cultivation of potential partner groups and organizations within communities.
- Form and maintain relationships with new and existing community partners, linking them to Victory Gardens.
- Collaborate regularly with the Managing Director and Artistic Director to ensure a clear and accurate interpretation of the organization’s vision.
- Develop and Coordinate Public Programs affinity nights in collaboration with the Literary Manager.
- Manage and coordinate Community Programs in collaboration with the Artistic Programs Manager, Literary Manager and Education Director.
- Create and maintain expense budgets.
- Design and develop assessment tools, collect data and report on all engagement activities.
- Maintain detailed records of all activities.
- Work in partnership with Development and Marketing departments to support external communications regarding engagement activities.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Significant career experience in community engagement activities or related field.
- Experienced manager and communicator.
- Excellent strategic and analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Excellent and proven organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively handle multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Computer literacy.
- Enthusiasm for team building.
- Interest in and knowledge of theatre/performing arts.
Salary is competitive within the non-profit performing arts industry and commensurate with qualification and experience. Excellent benefits package.
Victory Gardens Theater is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Qualified and interested candidates should send a letter of interest and confidential resume, salary history/requirements and one writing sample to:
Victory Gardens Theater
2433 N. Lincoln Avenue
Chicago, IL 60014
No phone calls please
DIRECTORS INCLUSION INITIATIVE
In our continual commitment toward cultural equity and inclusion in American Theatre, Victory Gardens Theater launches THE DIRECTORS INCLUSION INITIATIVE. This is a new program aimed at encouraging and nurturing emerging Chicago artists of color and disability, gender non-conforming, and women who are interested in the career of stage direction.
Each year, we will place early career directors in one of our five main stage productions as assistant directors who will work directly with established directors and will be provided access to artistic and institutional mentorship by our staff. There will be a modest stipend.
To apply for our inaugural season, please email a cover letter and resume to Joanie Schultz, Associate Artistic Producer and TCG Leadership U Fellow, at email@example.com by July 1st, 2015.
Your email should include the following:
- Why you are interested in directing;
- What you hope to get out of an assistantship at Victory Gardens; and
- What specific plays and directors you are interested/available to assistant direct in the 2015-16 season.
Please share this with any interested applicant.
Come be a part of the Victory Gardens family and be the change!
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR POSITION
Victory Gardens Theater is currently accepting applications of qualified persons for the position of Technical Director for the 2015-2016 season.
This candidate will oversee the construction and installation of all scenery for all of the main stage productions. In addition the position will require to be hands on during fundraisers, help facilitate additional programming, and assist with the resident theater’s needs.
- Function as an artisan with a wide range of materials, including a high level of proficiency in carpentry, welding and rigging.
- 2 -3 years of previous experience as a Technical Director in the theatrical or event based industries.
- Maintain order with all of Victory Gardens properties (i.e. tools and materials) both at the theater and at the shop.
- Must have the ability to work with our painters in order to provide all scenic elements to a paint ready finish in a timely manner.
- A working knowledge of AutoCad as well as typical office software (i.e google docs, google sheets, etc..)
- A valid driver license and the ability to drive a 24’ truck.
- There will be some nights and weekends required
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Ability to build as well as supervise building of all scenery.
- The ability to establish a working relationship with the designer in order to realize the scenic design inclusive of the properties.
- The ability to establish a working relationship with the property master in order to oversee all of the property needs as they pertain to scenic design and the set.
- A proven ability to provide a high level of safety in the shop and in the performance space for all.
- A proven record of working within a budget, as well maintaining a build and load in schedule.
- A proven ability to provide shop drawings and cut lists to the carpenters in a timely manner.
- A proven ability to provide leadership and time management.
- A working knowledge, lighting, sound, costumes and props is also preferred.
- Owning a vehicle is prefered.
- An ability to lift 75lbs
Victory Gardens Theater is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Qualified and interested candidates should submit all resumes to Scott Miller, Production Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
Victory Gardens Theater is currently accepting applications for the position of Properties Master for the production of SUCKER PUNCH by Roy Williams and directed by Dexter Bullard. This position with the collaboration of the Scenic Designer, the candidate will design and produce all properties for this production. There is the possibility of subsequent shows following this one.
Properties Master Requirements:
- Attending production meetings.
- Providing suitable rehearsal props.
- Working with the director and stage manager to create and maintain the properties list.
- Attending technical rehearsals and preview performances.
- Attend all production meeting following technical rehearsals and preview performances.
- Must have a proven ability with designing and or envisioning properties in collaboration with the Scenic Designer.
- Must have a proven ability with constructing props as needed.
- Must be able to clearly communicate and collaborate with the run crew on the pre-set, maintenance and upkeep of props.
- The ability to source, purchase or procure props and stay with in our given budget.
- Must have a valid drivers license.
- Owning a vehicle is a plus.
The dates for the position are as follows:
- Contract begins on August 3rd, 2015
- 1st Rehearsal/Rehearsal props due on August 25th, 2015
- 1st Preview on September 18th, 2015
- Opening Night on September 25th, 2015
- Closing on October 18th, 2015
Victory Gardens Theater is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Qualified and interested candidates should submit a resume and short cover letter to Scott Miller, Production Manager, email@example.com. Please include Prop Master Position in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
STAGE MANAGEMENT INTERNS
We’re always looking for Stage Management Interns. Interns will assist the production stage manager for the duration of the rehearsal process as well as the run of the show. Interns will interact with directors, designers, as well as members of the administrative staff. In addition, interns will learn the skills necessary to maintain day-to-day operation of the technical departments of the theater. Interns must have a strong, varied background of technical theater and experience in stage management. Contact Monty Cole, Artistic Programs Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Victory Gardens Theater accepts full-length scripts year-round from literary agents and theater professionals with whom we have an existing professional relationship. Mailed copies of scripts are welcomed, though we encourage electronic pdf or word doc submissions if at all possible. A member of the Literary department will respond to submissions once they have been read and processed.
Victory Gardens holds general auditions for both Equity and non-equity members each year. For more information about our upcoming Spring Generals, click here.
Submitting Your Headshot
Victory Gardens maintains a data base of actors. We keep a file of the photos and resumes of actors who have worked at and/or auditioned for the theatre in the past five years.
It is important that we have current information. Any time you change your telephone number or union status, please send us an updated headshot including your name, address, telephone number, and email address and send it to:
Victory Gardens Theater
2433 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60614
OUT OF TOWN ACTORS
Victory Gardens is only interested in auditioning actors who plan to relocate to Chicago in the near future. Our mission is to provide jobs for Chicago theater artists. If you are an Equity actor visiting from out of town and are planning on relocating, you are welcome to request an audition appointment by e-mail or inquiry letter. Auditions are scheduled on a time-available basis. There may be times that we are not able to accommodate an audition, but we will do our best.